She begins, “I am not the only Middle Eastern woman who escaped Sharia to move to the safety and freedom of the West. But our lives are threatened every time some Islamic group, or a mosque leader tells the American people and government that there is nothing to fear from Sharia and that it is their religious rights.”
Nonie asks, “How can it be a religious right as she exposes what these rights are under Islam’s Sharia.”
- There is no age limit for marriage of girls. The marriage contract can take place anytime after birth and consummated at age 8 or 9.
- A husband has the right to beat his wife and does not have to say why to her family or police.
- Rebelliousness on the part of the wife nullifies the husband’s obligation to support her, gives him permission to beat her and keep her from leaving the home.
- Divorce is only in the hands of the husband and is as easy as saying “I divorce you.” It becomes effective even if the husband did not intend it.
- There is no community property between husband and wife, and the husband’s property does not automatically go to the wife after his death.
- A woman inherits half what a man inherits.
- A man has the right to have up to four wives, and no wife has the right to divorce him even if he is polygamous.
- Marriage is a buyer/seller contract where by the dowry is given in exchange for the woman’s sexual organs.
- A man is allowed to have sex with slave women and women captured in battle, and if the enslaved woman is married, her marriage is annulled.
- The testimony of a woman in court is half the value of a man.
- A woman looses custody if she remarries.
- To prove rape, a woman must have four male witnesses.
- A rapist may only be required to pay the bride-money (dowry) without marrying the rape victim.
- A Muslim woman must cover every inch of her body, which is considered “Awrah,” a sexual organ. Not all Sharia schools allow the face of a woman exposed.
- A Muslim man is forgiven if he kills his wife at the time she is caught in the act of adultery. However, this is not true for women, since he “could be married to the woman he was caught with”.
- There is no retribution for parents or grandparents for slaying their offspring. Even though Islam abolished killing infant girls, this law, even though mostly unused, it is significant in supporting honor killing of daughters.
Nonie continues, “There are those Muslim Jihadists in America who hide the truth from Americans about this misogynist law by claiming that honor killing, and other violations of human rights of women that happen daily in the Muslim world, are simply a cultural thing which has nothing to do with Islam and its law.”
Nonie exclaims, “But how can this be just a cultural thing with Islam’s Sharia laws condemning an adulterous women to death and parents having no retribution for slaying of their offspring? The laws clearly will not punish honor killings.”
She notes, “In many Friday sermons, I have often heard the demeaning and ridicule of women as being deficient in religion and intellect, and that is why men need to beat wives and women who are disobedient. The law supports that.”
Why do Muslim women not protest the treatment they receive? Nonie answers, “They are the keepers of their own jail.”
She offers, “There is a misconception in the West that Muslim women are being forced to submit and cannot wait to defeat Sharia law. Unfortunately, that is not true.”
“ To the committed Muslim woman trained from birth in Arab culture and Sharia law, Sharia is Allah’s law. Standing up against Sharia is equal to standing up against Allah himself. It is not surprising, then, that a majority of Muslim women end up defending the very laws that keep them in bondage.”
For others to better comprehend the training of Muslim women, Nonie Darwish shares these five statements to illustrate how women are seen under Islam’s Sharia law. The following statements were edited out from Turkey’s Sharia books:
- “Women are deficient in intellect and religion.”…
- “The best of women are those who are like sheep.”..
- “If a woman doesn’t satisfy her husband’s desires, she should choose herself a place in hell.”…
- “If a husband’s body is covered with pus and his wife licks it clean, she still wouldn’t have paid her dues.”…
- “Your prayer will be invalid if a donkey, black dog or a woman passes in front of you.”
Our special 5-part interview with Nonie Darwish includes:
Part 1 – Why Nonie’s Voice Matters
Part 2 – Women & Religion Under Sharia
(Photo Credit – Flickr Common)